Friday, August 8, 2008

Thing 15

The teachertube video “A Vision of Students Today” is a perfect illustration why school libraries need to embrace Library 2.0. Constant change as a developmental cycle has become reality because today’s students have undergone a radical change much like learners probably underwent in the mid 1800s after the invention of the blackboard! If this digital tourist is going to be able to interact, educate and inspire the digital natives in my building (students and younger teachers), I need to know the language and be able to communicate. It means that school libraries need to provide users with information in mediums that the users desire at times of need – not just when the library is open.

I really appreciated Rick Anderson’s phrase “just in case collection.” Yesterday, I was unpacking the backroom at the library and so many of the things are old and pass their usefulness (such as stamps of base ten blocks that are hard to see and can now be clearly pasted on a worksheet) and should have never been packed up and I found myself thinking… “well, I guess someone might use it this year” We (librarians and teachers) need to remember we are educating students to hold jobs that haven’t been developed yet. Let’s keep changing with the world and our students and providing them with the tools to learn, create and enjoy

No comments: