Sunday, August 3, 2008

Thing 12

Building a community through blogging isn’t really something I have spent much time thinking about but now it seem perfectly obvious. I completed all the course work for my school library certificate online through UNT and never once did I feel like I was alone. A number of people have commented to me that they couldn’t learn without others around them, but that is exactly how I felt. Through the use of posts, emails, blogs, and “villages,” I never felt I was learning alone. Now I see that commenting on others’ blogs are an extension of that learning community. This is my new learning community now that I have finished the certification because I still need to learn a lot!

So… two things I found very essential when making comments were to make comments meaningful and that it was possible to write in a way which encouraged comments. These two things got me thinking about keeping some type of record of my first year as a librarian. I had been thinking about how I wanted to do this but now I am wondering what all of you wished you would have done your first year as a librarian. So, let me know – What do you wish you would have done your first year as a school librarian?

Back to the requirements… I commented on a number of blogs from Library2Play (which I have visited a number of different ones since I have begun 23 Things) and one of the other blogs outside the community is Book Addiction which happened to have a post about graphic novels for children – an area that needs to be expanded in the library where I will be working next school year – sweet!

Now, I have promised myself a few minutes with Breaking Dawn!

2 comments:

VWB said...

just a few minutes? I thought that was an impossibility!

So glad you have become a part of our community and hope to learn lots from you!

arkreynolds said...

I too have felt that I am not alone in my learning since keeping up with the blogging community. What I know little about someone else is an expert and they either leave me a comment with the needed information or I find out what I need by reading what other bloggers write. Blogging is a great support in a profession where I have often feel isolated due to time limits or being in a self contained classroom. Thanks for your insight!