Friday, July 17, 2009

Thing 7 of 11.5 things

Wow, talk about a time sucker! These video collection sites got me really off track. I watched an old Battlestar Gallatica on hulu, looked at a number of things on the national geographic site and was determined to find something that I could use next year.

I found two interesting things on the National Archives site within the Eyewitness Ehibits. The first was about Laura Ingalls Wilder which would be good to use with the 4th and 5th graders next year. The second was a short video from Apollo 8 where the astronauts are showing the moon. This would be great to use to introduce the second graders to the moon and space and show them where that section is in the library. We are lucky to have a fairly large section on space, planets, moon and the sun in both English and Spanish so many students could enjoy the books. I couldn't figure out how to embed that clip, but the URL is as follows: www.archives.gov/exhibits/eyewitness/ One must enter the site then click on the Contents tab and then it is located on the bottom right hand side. I really wish there was a direct link or a way to embed the video somewhere.

The second video I found that I want to use is really an idea that I think I will need to do myself because after looking at about 10 different videos none of them really showed what I wanted them to show. After many years of having the library at CBE arranged in a leveled variety many adults and all the students have practically stopped using the online card catalog. They have relied on the asking the librarian. Being new to this library, I used the catalog, but then the hunt began because things weren't shelved in the typical library fashion. So I want to do some type of instructional video for teachers and students to show them how to use the online catalog. However, the video that I embedded is an example of something like I want to do content wise. I don't like the camera angle or the keyword search he uses as an example. I wish I could have found one I liked and use that because I just hate reinventing the wheel. I love to give credit to those wonderfully talented people who do things and learn from them!

No comments: