Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Thing 3

Just a brief forward: I am sitting in a beautiful public library, Gail Borden Public Library, in Elgin, IL and the temperature outside is about 65. This has been a nice break from the TX heat!

Skype and other tools such as seem to have some value in the library and the classroom much like our other tools we have been looking at. I thought the skype manual that the Learning Librarian developed would be a very valuable asset to reference. I had also thought about the scheduling being an issue as she mentioned. It is wonderful to be able to access people and events all over the world in streaming video (or even audio - being an auditory learner, the video part of it doesn't wow me), but actually talking "face to face" with that person can have a different impact since the students would be guiding the questioning/conversation. So, I think the live interaction would be the goal to shoot for and then scheduling could be the most difficult part.

Of the items we have looked at so far this isn't the one I want to run out and learn more about although I have a nephew going overseas for a bit and I might tell him about the phone app for this so he could text/phone for cheaper.

1 comment:

VWB said...

telephoning for free if computer to computer...

also do you see the possibility of maybe hooking up with another campus to "visit" over something you may have in common...a bluebonnet book or an assignment?

maybe that would be a slow way of delving in....maybe a long with a teacherat your school who would be willing to take the chance?