Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Thing 11.5 of 11.5!

Yeah!

1. What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?

My favorite was learning more about screencasts. I had seen them many times, but I didn't realize how easy they were to create. I will use this again and I have already taught a teacher/friend how to create screencasts.

2. How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?

Every day that I have worked in SBISD has been an asset in my lifelong learning goals. That probably sounds cheesy, but it is true. I feel so lucky that I landed a job in a district that has such visionary leadership and is so helpful in their library program. I know people who finished library school around the same time as me (little over a year ago) and they have jobs in other districts and they don't feel half the support, encouragement and exposure to innovative teaching ideas that I have had this last year. 11.5 Things complimented all the previous learning I have had.

3. Were there any take-a-ways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?

One big surprise were the amount of iTouch/iPhone apps for young children. I had thought that people weren't really directing technology towards that section of the market b/c of their limited buying power - except for educational industries. I totally forgot about parents who want to occupy the attention of their PK - 1st grade children! There are a lot of apps out there that actually help with emergent literacy and even some picture books that read the book aloud to the young child. Who knew?!

Another surprise I had was how few people I know who even knew what Second Life was. I am 48 and know that I am never going to be a digital native. I usually just assume that everyone else knows more about computers than I do or at the very least I ALWAYS approach it as a learning experience. I found out that none of my neices or nephews knew anything about SL or... they wanted to keep their knowledge a secret!

4. What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or concept?

I wish some other work days were spread through the summer. It was probably just my schedule, but I was busy every day that there were group work sessions where people could just show up and work at the Media center. However, anytime I emailed someone with a question, I got an answer so it wasn't bad. I never felt all along on "the beach." I could use more help with SL and will probably try to seek out help with that because I would like to learn more about it.

1 comment:

VWB said...

glad your beach adventure was so successful!

and a program is only as good as its parts...VERY glad you are a part!