Wednesday, July 1, 2009

11.5 Things/ Thing 5

Microblogging is a quick way to stay connected. I am still a bit unsure as to how it would be best used by teachers with students but I can think of a couple of ways and I have seen a number of facebook profile projects that teachers have done with students on famous people.

Personally, I was terribly reluctant to have a facebook page (kinda like when the cell phone man said to me about 5 years ago "lady, you can keep that analog phone, but in about a month none of your calls will go through" see at that time I had just figured out how to use all the bells and whistles on that phone and I didn't want to progress. Now, I talk to strangers if I see they have an app on their iphone that I don't recognize and I think I might want it!) Anyway, back to facebook... when my 85 year old aunt (my only full-blooded living relative that is older than me!)got a facebook account I figured I had to also. It has been great fun keeping up with nieces and nephews, not to mention my aunt and other friends! It is quick way of staying connected with people that are important to you. I am still learning about the different levels and how to "unfriend" some that I have decided are just a bit to racy for this school librarian, but overall it has been great. The "group" function at the bottom is new to me. I didn't know that SLJ had a facebook page that will be an area that I will enjoy exploring more about.

I have had hardly any experience with twitter except to know what it is and a few features. I have been trying to convince a friend who is a college coach to get a twitter account because she is always complaining that her players don't answer phone messages or emails. I am still trying to convince her that she needs to consider her audience and change the way she sends her message, if she wants her message heard.

3 comments:

Terry said...

I think you hit it with changing the mode of the message to reach your audience.

LauraAnn said...

I agree with Terry's comment! When mentioning to my nephew that he didn't respond to an e-mail I sent him, his response was, "E-mail? Oh, I hardly ever check that anymore." It seems that FB (or twitter) has become the medium for communication and that e-mail is "old school" (or far worse, old skool!)

nancym said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! I have the same experience with the cells phone and felt the same way about Facebook. I just wonder where all the kids are going to go now that Facebook is contaminated with old people like me. I tried Twitter for about 3 weeks but was unimpressed and deleted my account.